Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mother's Day

This was a special day for me. I had the privilege to talk in Sacrament Meeting on motherhood. I think I did good. Here it is without my extras:

I had a great Mother. She taught me well. She taught me by her example how to work, play, honesty and integrity. She didn't lecture. She just lived the part.

All things seem to be a type that turn us to Jesus. Becoming a mother is one of those types. Jesus Christ gave his life blood that we might live. A woman also gives her blood to bring life to a child. Then she is responsible to give her life in neutering, teaching, loving and caring for that child for the rest of her life. Some say they are not responsible after that child becomes an adult. True it is that a mother is not guilty of choices that adult children make – if – she has taught that child well. However, when a child, young or grown, does well, parents are blessed and feel joy… the same when an offspring chooses wrong paths, parents feel sad and sometimes responsible, saying, “What did I do wrong?” even if they did nothing wrong, it brings pain and sorrow. There is never a time in the life of a mother (or father) that they don’t want to guide and protect their children. Sometimes to the detriment of that child. It is sometimes hard to let go and let them learn the way we learned.
A woman starts mothering as soon as she is old enough to hold a baby doll and dress it and rock it and sing to it…She learns to care for others by watching her mother. As she grows, she learns from the examples set by her mother and other mothers along the way. The desire to be a mother comes naturally as she becomes older. She consciously and unconsciously seeks for that young man who will help her achieve the goal of motherhood. Then as she holds that first tiny person in her arms, she is amazed at the miracle of being a mother. She realizes the great blessing of being a co-creator with God bringing this child into the world. What an awesome thing. The man may hold the power of the priesthood that makes it possible for him to do many miraculous things….But a woman is a co-creator with God himself. What can be better than that?
Why Women Cry
Watch her eyes


A little boy asked his mother, "Why are you crying?" "Because I'm a woman," she told him.

"I don't understand," he said. His Mom just hugged him and said, "And you never will."

Later the little boy asked his father, "Why does mother seem to cry for no reason?"

"All women cry for no reason," was all his dad could say.

The little boy grew up and became a man, still wondering why women cry..

Finally he put in a call to God. When God got on the phone, he asked, "God, why do women cry so easily?"

God said

"When I made the woman she had to be special.

I made her shoulders strong enough to carry the weight of the world,

yet gentle enough to give comfort.

I gave her an inner strength to endure childbirth and the rejection that many times comes from her children.

I gave her a hardness that allows her to keep going when everyone else gives up, and take care of her family through sickness and fatigue without complaining.

I gave her the sensitivity to love her children under any and all circumstances, even when her child has hurt her very badly.

I gave her strength to carry her husband through his faults and fashioned her from his rib to protect his heart.

I gave her wisdom to know that a good husband never hurts his wife, but sometimes tests her strengths and her resolve to stand beside him unfalteringly.

And finally, I gave her a tear to shed. This is hers exclusively to use whenever it is needed."

"You see my son," said God, "the beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair.

The beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart - the place where love resides."

Wendy told me the night before that we would be going to Gay's for dinner and she was bringing fruit...but it wouldn't be till 5pm because of thier church schedule. Barry called me on Saturday and asked me to pick up some dam material at IFA's and he would pick it up Sunday when he came in. I questioned it a little in my mind, because Temi had gone to Texas, but didn't worry about it. I did think that I would have to leave a note for him if he came when we were to Gay's. Well. Everything changed because Gay and Duane both got food poisoning from some tortillias (?) that a little Mexican girl sold them the day before. So dinner ended up here. Barry, Chelsie and Joshua came first. I got to go walking around the cemetary with Josua. There is a headstone of a man who was a fireman and his picture was on it and a toy firetruch by it. He was really impressed and told his grandpa that "There's a man over there that's a fireman and has a real fire truck!" He is so cute. He usually doesn't talk much, so that was special. Carl Ray went to his house and got a gunbelt, pistol and caps for him and he had a ball. Layne, Pam & Landon showed up too, and then I decided that this was supposed to be a surprise for me! It was and it wasn't. But it sure was nice...except for missing Gay and Duane. She sent wonderful chicken and beef for the BBQ. We ate on the porch and had a great time. I cannot believe why I deserve such wonderful families. When I think of each of my children, grandchildren and great greats and all the in-laws, I am so greatful and proud of the lives they are living.

May 12, 2009

I had a Catalog party. I invited alot of people but only eight came other than family. I cooked all day marinating meat for shish-kabobs, cutting fruit and veggies, made a pasta salad and hot rolls. We are still eating from that night. Those who came really enjoyed themselves visiting and looking at my SMC catalogs. They made orders for over $400! I have gotten a few orders since and expecting some others. Maybe this will be a good thing for me. There is a little bit of everything for everyone.

May 13, 2009

I had a new lady for painting today. Pearl Sheffer came with her three cute kids. They were very quiet and well behaved...except the two year old was busy playing with Shay and being here and there. One time he was behind me and I didn't know it. I turned and stepped backward and tripped over him. Wow! I made a big crash on the cement - flat on my back. My head really crashed. But it didn't break! I had an emu egg...bigger than a goose egg. But I'm okay. Didn't even get a headache. Pays to be hard headed..

2 comments:

  1. I sure enjoy your postings. I wish I could have been there to hear your talk and be a part of the party for Mother's Day. I love you mom. You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma Dawna!! You have a blog. That is so great. I look forward to reading everything that is going on with u and seeing pictures. We'll see you soon in vernal.

    ReplyDelete